Dentinal Hypersensitivity: A Review
Patricia A. Walters
Citation Information :
Walters PA. Dentinal Hypersensitivity: A Review. J Contemp Dent Pract 2005; 6 (2):107-117.
CC BY-NC 3.0
Copyright © 2005; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
Walters PA. Dentinal Hypersensitivity: A Review. J Contemp Dent Pract 2005 May;(6)2:107-117.
- Current treatment for dentinal hypersensitivity. A new agent. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1982; (Suppl 3): S118-20.
- Dentine Hypersensitivity – A review. J Clin Periodontol 1983;Jul;10(4):341-50, 351-63.
- Prevalence of dentine hypersensitivity in a dental population. J Ir Dent Assoc. 1997;43:7-9.
- Etiology and clinical implications of dentine hypersensitivity. Dent Clin No Amer 1990;34:503-14.
- Tooth hypersensitivity in the spectrum of pain. Dent Clin No Amer 1990;34;429-37.
- Controlled clinical evaluation of a 10% strontium chloride dentifrice in treatment of dentin hypersensitivity following periodontal surgery. J Periodontol 1980;51:578-81.
- Hypersensitivity of the exposed root surfaces after surgical periodontal treatment. J Osaka Univ Dent Soc 1976;16:73-77.
- Dentinal sensation and hypersensitivity. A review of mechanisms and treatment alternatives. J Periodontol 1985;56;216-22.
- The hydrodynamics of the dentine; its possible relationship to dentinal pain. Int Dent J 1972;22:219-27.
- Oral Hygiene Products and Practice. Dekker, New York, 1988, Chap. 10.
- Clinical aspects of dentine hypersensitivity. Proc Finn Dent Soc 1992;88(suppl 1):407-12.
- Guidelines for design and conduct of clinical trials on dentine hypersensitivity. J Clin Perio 1997;24:808-13.
- Dentin permeability. A comparison of functional versus anatomical tubular radii. J Dent Res 1978;57:1019-24.
- Scanning electron microscopy of the substructure of smear layers in human dentine. Arch Oral Biol 1988;33:265-70.
- Clinical features of hypersensitive teeth. Br Dent J 1987;162:253-6.
- Tooth sensitivity prevention and treatment. Oral Health 1999;89:33-4, 37-8, 41. Review.
- Lasers in endodontics: a review. Int Endodont J 2000;33:173-85.
- Clinical dentin hypersensitivity: understanding the causes and prescribing a treatment. J. Contemporary Dent Practice 2001;2(1):1-8.
- J Can Dent Assoc 2003;69(4);221-6.
- Effectiveness of a fluoride varnish and a desensitizing toothpaste in treating dentinal hypersensitivity. J Perio Res Mar 1985;20(2);212-9.
- The effect of a stannous fluoride cavity wash on postoperative thermal sensitivity. Gen Dent 1990;347-349.
- Dentine hypersensitivity: A comparison of five toothpastes used during a 6-week period. British Dent J. 1987;163:45-50.
- The pulpal effects of brushing with a 5 percent potassium nitrate paste used for desensitization. Oral Surg 1981;600-602.
- Hypersensitive Dentin: Testing of procedures for mechanical and chemical obliteration of dentinal tubuli. J Periodontol 1993;64:366-373.
- Potassium nitrate toothpaste for dentine hypersensitivity (Review). The Cochrane Collaboration 2004, Issue 4, Wiley Publisher. 1-11.
- Clinical evaluation of a potassium nitrate dentifrice for the treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity. J Clin Peridontol 1994;21(3):217-21.
- Efficacy of a dentifrice containing potassium nitrate, soluble pyrophosphate, PVM/MA copolymer, and sodium fluoride on dentinal hypersensitivity: a twelve-week clinical study. J Clin Dent 1994;5 Spec No: 87-92.
- The sensitivity reducing effect of brushing with a potassium nitrate-sodium monofluorophosphate dentifrice. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1985;6(2):z131-3.
- Efficacy of a dentifrice containing 5% potassium nitrate and 1500 ppm sodium monofluorphosphate in a precipitated calcium carbonate base on dentinal hypersensitivity. J Clin Dent 1998;9(1):22-5.
- The efficacy of potassium salts as agents for treating dentin hypersensitivity. J of Orofacial Pain 2000;14:9-19.
- Comparative investigations of the desensitizing efficacy of a new dentifrice. J Clin Periodontol 2001;28:1032-1036.
- The effect of a new toothpaste containing potassium nitrate and triclosan on gingival health, plaque formation and dentine hypersensitivity. J Clin Periodontol 2005;32 53-58.
- Dentine hypersensitivity and the placebo response. A comparison of the effect of strontium acetate, potassium nitrate and fluoride toothpastes. J Clin Periodontol 1997;24(4):209-15.
- The relative anticaries effectiveness of three fluoride containing dentifrices in Puerto Rico. Caries Res 2004;36:542-550.
- Truong T, Heu R, et al. Recent advances in stannous fluoride technology: antibacterial efficacy and mechanism of action toward hypersensitivity. Int Dent J. 1994;44(1 suppl 1):83-98.
- Eighteen-month evaluation of the effects of a 0.4% stannous fluoride gel on gingivitis in orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1994;105:35-41.
- A “return” to stannous fluoride dentifrices. J Clin Dent 1995;6:29-36.
- The efficacy of amine fluoride/stannous fluoride in the suppression of morning breath odour. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29:944-954.
- Effects of a gel containing 0.4 percent stannous fluoride on dentinal hypersensitivity. Dent Hyg (Chic) 1985;59:489-92.
- The efficacy of a 0.4% stannous fluoride gel on root surface hypersensitivity. J Dent Res 1985;62:237.
- Effect of a fluoride solution on dentinal hypersensitivity. Am J Dent 1992;5:299-302.
- The effect of stannous fluoride on dentinal hypersensitivity. International Dent J 1994:44:107-118. Suppl 1.
- In Situ Iodide permeability of root dentin following use of two SnF2 products. 1996 AADR Poster.
- Treatment of dentin with stannous fluoride – SEM and electron microprobe study. Scand J Dent Res 1987;95:281-286.
- Dentine hypersensitivity. I. Effects produced by the uptake in vitro of metal ions, fluoride and formaldehyde onto dentine. J Oral Rehab 1988;15:575-585.
- Use of water-free stannous fluoride-containing gel in the control of dental hypersensitivity. J. Periodont 1969;40:490-91.
- Hypersensitive teeth: Desensitisation of pulpal sensory nerves. Journal of Endodontics 1986;12:482.
- Hypersensitive teeth. Part II: Treatment. J Prosthet Dent 1986;56(3):307-311.
- Topical fluoride treatment of cavity preparations, Chap. 36. In:goldman H.M. (ed). Current Therapy in Dentistry, vol. V, St. Louis, C.V. Mosby, 1974, pp. 280-282.
- A single solution mixture of fluorides for treatment of cavity preparation. Gen Dent 1982;30(3):225-227.