Antibacterial Activity of Aqueous Extracts of Selected Chewing Sticks
Kizito Chioma Ndukwe, Iruka N. Okeke, Adebayo Lamikanra, Simeon K. Adesina, Oladipo Aboderin
Citation Information :
Ndukwe KC, Okeke IN, Lamikanra A, Adesina SK, Aboderin O. Antibacterial Activity of Aqueous Extracts of Selected Chewing Sticks. J Contemp Dent Pract 2005; 6 (3):86-94.
CC BY-NC 3.0
Copyright © 2005; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
Ndukwe KC, Okeke IN, Lamikanra A, Adesina SK, Aboderin O. Antibacterial Activity of Aqueous Extracts of Selected Chewing Sticks. J Contemp Dent Pract 2005 August;(6)3:086-094.
- Odontogenic infections of the jawbones and related structures. In: Oral Diseases in the Tropics. Prabhu, S Wilson, D Daffary D and N Johnson editors. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992;674-685.
- Craniocervical necrotizing fascitis in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. British J of Oral and Maxillofac. Surg 2002;40:64-67.
- Socioeconomic and behavioral factors leading to acquired bacterial resistance to antibiotics in developing countries. Emerg Infect Dis 1999b; 5: 18-27.
- Antibiotic resistance: an ecological imbalance. Ciba Found Symp 1997;207(1-9; discussion 9-14.
- Oral helath knowledge, attitudes and behaviour of 12-year-old suburban and rural school children in Nigeria. Afr Dent J 1994;8:20-25.
- Chewing sticks: timeless natural toothbrushes for oral cleansing. J Periodontal Res 2001;36:275-84.
- In vitro antimicrobial effects of extracts of Nigerian tooth cleaning sticks on peridotopathic bacteria. African Dent J 1995;9:15-19.
- Chewing sticks, toothpaste, and plaque removal. Acta Odontol Scand 1989;47:121-125.
- Cleaning effectiveness of chewing sticks among Tanzanian schoolchildren. J of Clinical Periodontol 1992;19:460-463.
- Effect of two common Nigerian chewing sticks on gingival health and oral hygiene. Odontostomatol Trop 1999;22:13-8.
- The immediate antimicrobial effect of a toothbrush and miswak on cariogenic bacteria: a clinical study. J Contemp Dent Pract 2004;5:105-14.
- Dental caries, fluoride levels and oral hygiene practices of school children in Matebeleland South Zimbabwe. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996;24:21-24.
- The natural toothbrush. World Health Forum 1995;16:206-10.
- Antimicrobial properties of the buffer extracts of chewing sticks used in Nigeria. Planta medica 1975;27:123-126.
- Antibacterial activity of extracts from some African chewing sticks. Oral Surg 1977;44:717-722.
- Inhibiting effect of aqueous extracts of eight Nigerian chewing sticks on bacterial properties favouring plaque formation. Caries Res 1983;17:253-257.
- Isolation of natural plaque-inhibiting substances from Nigerian chewing sticks. Caries Res 1984;18:216-225.
- Actvities of Nigerian chewing stick extracts against Bacteriodes gingivalis and Bacteriodes melaninogenicus. Antimicrob Agents and Chemo 1988;32:598-600.
- Antimicrobial compounds from Ceanothus americanus against oral pathogens. Phytochemistr 1997;46:92-102.
- Antibacterial activities of extracts from Nigerian chewing sticks. Phytotherapy Res 1999;13:675-679.
- Chemical treatment of periodontitis: local delivery of antimicrobials. International Dent J 1998;48(Suppl 1):305-315.
- Binaphthalenone glycosides from African chewing sticks, Diospyros lycoides. J Nat Product 1998;61:817-820.
- Namibian chewing stick, Diospyros lycioides, contains antibacterial compounds against oral pathogens. J Agric Food Chem. 2000;48:909-914.
- Bacteriology and antimicrobial susceptibility profile of agents of orofacial infections in Nigerians. Afr J of Clinical and Experimental Microbiol 2004;5:272-277.
- Antibacterial constituents of Alchornea cordifolia leaves. Phytotherapy Res 1990;4:198-200.
- A. Antimicrobial spectrum of Alchornea cordifolia leaf extract. Phytotherapy Res 1999a; 13:67-69.