Oral Care in the Intensive Care Unit: A Review
Randa F. Abidia
Citation Information :
Abidia RF. Oral Care in the Intensive Care Unit: A Review. J Contemp Dent Pract 2007; 8 (1):76-82.
CC BY-NC 3.0
Copyright © 2007; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
Abidia RF. Oral Care in the Intensive Care Unit: A Review. J Contemp Dent Pract 2007 January;(8)1:076-082.
- Mouthcare and intubated patient: the aim of preventing infection. Intensive Care Nurs. 1986;1:187-193.
- Oral care in the ICU: an important nursing role. Nurs Stand 1989;4(7):24-28.
- Colonization of dental plaque by respiratory pathogens in medical intensive care patients. Crit Care Med 1992;20(6):740-745.
- Oral hygiene. Br J Nurs. 1995;4:516-519.
- Assessment of nurse-administered oral hygiene. Nurs Times. 1995;91:40-41.
- Use of a clinical assessment tool for orally intubated patients. Am J Crit Care 1995;4(5):355-360.
- Qualified nurses lack adequate knowledge related to oral health, resulting in inadequate oral care of patients on the medical wards. J Adv Nurs 1996;24:552-560.
- Nursing management of oral care in older patients. Nurs Times 1996;92:37-39.
- Oral care in the intensive and intermediate care units in Riyadh and Qateef. Pak Oral Dental J 2004;24(1):87-94.
- A cross-sectional study of the oral health care instruction given to nurses during their basic training. Br Dent J 1998;184(9):453-457.
- Biting back at poor oral hygiene. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 2000;16:367-372.
- Mouth care in an intensive care unit: a review. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 1993;9:246-252.
- Oral care for the cancer chemotherapy patients. Nurs Times 1984;80:40-42.
- Mouthcare. Nurs Mirror 1984;159(21):31-33.
- Malnourishment in the intensive care units, as high as 50%: are nurses doing enough to change this? Intensive Crit Care Nurs 1990;6:205-208.
- Comparison of two endotracheal tube securement techniques on unplanned extubation, oral mucosa, and facial skin integrity. Heart Lung 1998;27(6):409-417.
- Decrease in nosocomial pneumonia in ventilated patients by selective oropharygeal decontamination (SOD). Intensive Care Med. 1997;23:187-195.
- Oral hygiene in intubated patients. Aust J Adv Nurs 1990;7(2):4-7.
- A collaborative approach to oral care during critical illness. Dent Health (London) 1995;34(3) 6-10.
- Rationale for mouth care: the integration of theory with practice. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 1995;11:71-76.
- Mouth care in cancer. Nurs Times 1994;90(14):27-29.
- The expanded role of the dental hygienist: implications for developing countries. J Pak Dent Assoc 2004;13(3):99-103.
- Oral care in the adult intensive care unit. Am J Crit Care 1999;8(5):314-318.
- (Ed) The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing procedure. 2nd Edition, London, Harper and Row, 1988.
- Mouth care procedures for the very ill. Nurs Times 1977;73(10):354-355.
- Tools for mouth care. Nurs Times 1980;76(8):340-342.
- Oral health care for hospitalized patients: the nurse's role. J Nurs Educ 1987;26(9):362-366.
- The effect of hydrogen peroxide rinses on the normal oral mucosa. Nurs Res 1993;42(6):332-337.
- Effect of timed hygienic measures on oral mucosa in a group of elderly subjects. Nurs Res. 1975;24:104-108.
- A combined analysis of a toothbrush, foam brush, and a chlorhexidine-soaked foam brush in maintaining oral hygiene. Cancer Nurs 1995;18(5):393-396.
- An update on mechanical devices for the control of bacterial dental plaque. Dent Health (London) 1994;33(4):4-7.
- Some antibacterial properties of chlorhexidine. J Periodontal Res 1973;8:61-67.
- On the mechanism of the plaque inhibition by chlorhexidine. J Dent Res 1975;54(special issue):B57-B62.
- The effect of chlorhexidine mouthrinses on the human oral flora. J Periodontal Res 1970;5:84-89.
- J Clin Periodontol 2005;32:305-309.
- Practice implications with an alcoholfree, 0.07% cetylpyridinium chloride mouthrinse. Am J Dent 2005;18(special issue):29A-34A.
- An alcohol-free therapeutic mouthrinse with cetypyridinium chloride (CPC) – The latest advance in preventive care: Crest Pro-Health Rinse. Am J Dent 2005;18(special issue):3A-8A.
- Pathogenesis and modifying factors of dental erosion. Eur J Sci. 1996;104:199-206.
- Hospital mouth-cleaning aids may cause dental erosion. Spec Care Dentist 1996;16 (6) 247-250.
- Nursing care of the mechanically ventilated patient in ITC:1. Br J Nurs 1997;6(8):447-454.
- Nurse administered oral hygiene: is there a scientific basis? J Adv Nurs 1986; 11: 323-331.